ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:16:07 -0800
I am sorry but I just must speak up now opposing this practice of offering
communion to non Catholics.  We as Catholics believe when the host or bread
and wine is consecrated it becomes the actual body and blood of our precious
Lord.  We believe this by faith so there can be no contradiction.  The bread
and wine are not symbols.  Also, we have to be in a state of grace before
receiving the host or bread.  This means we must first have had to examine
our souls very carefully to make sure all the sins of which we are aware are
forgiven prior to partaking.  If we are married to a divorced person and are
still sleeping with him prior to his marriage being annulled by the church
is an example of a situation of when communion should not be taken.  We
Catholics take communion very seriously because the entire mass revolves
around this sacrament.  Communion should never be given to a person just
because that person is a Christian because one never knows whether he is
aware of it's significance in the context of Catholic belief or dogma.  I
wasn't going to say anything at first but when such a thing is sanctioned by
those on the list I feel something ought to be said.