ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
David Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:57:04 -0500
Amy, this would be my answer to your question, and, I suppose,
probably your church's answer, too.  1 Timothy 2:12 says, "But I
suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the
man, but to be in silence."  God's general rule is that a man
should be the spiritual leader of a congregation, household,
etc.; but there are always exceptions.  In the book of Judges
chapters 4 and 5, we discover that Deborah was Judge over
Israel.  It should be perfectly logical that in a home where the
wife is a believer and the husband is not, she should be the
spiritual leader.  There are a few churches with female pastors,
since no male in that congregation is as qualified as she is for
that position.  However, if a woman is teaching a Sunday School
class wherein there are men who are better qualified to teach,
then she is usurping their authority, and should submit to one of
them.
Dave