VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 21:27:42 -0700
Hello Peter,

1. Is there a laptop for which the screen can be turned off?
This would be useful for saving battery power.

Some of the older laptops had this feature. My old one had a monitor port
and a manually toggleable button to select the monitor, the LCD, or both. My
modern laptop has the same monitor port, but it is more intelligent now. I
can only select the monitor port if a monitor is actually plugged in. It
even detected a dummy plug I tried to fool it with and would not turn off
the LCD. This feature is to protect the average sighted computer moron who
accidentally turns off his/her monitor and then goes crazy because the
computer is now broken.

2. What is the best scanner, type and/or brand, for scanning
thick books, especially hardcovers?
As you know, for the print closest to the binding, it is
difficult or impossible to press it flush up against the scanning
surface.
There must be a scanner designed to deal with this problem. I'm
thinking possibly a scanner that is able to scan right up to the
edge of one side of the unit. This would require that the book be
opened only 90 degrees, and positioned so that the scanning edge
is wedged into the binding, where the print would be lying flat.

Given your criteria, there is now a book-edge scanner on the market. I do
not remember the model number anymore, but I believe it is manufactured by
Plustech. The cost was $240 + according to a froogle search I did last year
when I learned about it. Try froogle for book edge scanner.

3. Is there a program that can dial a phone number that is
displayed on the screen?

It is a gimmick I have seen in many programs. I believe even some of the
screen readers have the capability in them. Try download.com and search for
phone dialer or touchtone generator.

Good luck,

David