From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 00:15:10 -0800
On 28 Nov 2006 at 11:29, garytennesen wrote:

> Okay, it has been discussed in theory, now can someone help me in practice?
> I did get a dual WAN router (D-link di-lb604) for about 99 dollars U.S. for
> my Comcast (cable internet) and DSL.
>
> Now, the trick!  Using my Linksys wireless router/gateway, I've tried it by
> disabling NAT and DHCP on the D-link and I can only get Internet access via
> wire.  I can't seem to get wireless internet.  I have tried the WAN port on
> the wireless to a computer port on the D-link and that doesn't work and I am
> now trying computer port to computer port.
>
> There is no documentation or help with D-link except a computer wired to
> their hub.  No WiFi solution is offered.  Do you think I should dump the
> router and just get a simple WiFi Access Point?  Do any of you have any tips
> on getting a wireless router to act as an access point to a wired router?

  I've done this successfully with several NetGear WGR614 routers, and the
same approach should work with your Linksys.

  For a small home network, do not use the WAN link of the LinkSys.  (On the
larger network where I work, it was useful to connect the WAN port into one
of the LAN ports, but that was to enable a feature that you don't need.)
Remember that we're not using it as a router, just as an access point, which
is a *switch* with both wired and wireless interfaces.
  The "uplink" is a crossover (not needed if one of the routers does "Auto
MDX") between one of the *LAN* ports on the Linksys, and a LAN port on the D-
link.  Wired clients can be plugged into LAN ports on either router, and
wireless clients can connect to the radio in the Linksys, but will get their
address info, etc, from the NetGear's DHCP service.
  Remember to assign the Linksys a LAN address that is in the range used by
the Netgear, but not one that DHCP will give to a client.  There are a
couple of ways to do that, depending on the DHCP options available on the
NetGear.  You will need to use this address to get to configuration options
for the wireless service.  (Since the WAN side isn't connected, it doesn't
need an address.)

  Ask again if any of the above is not sufficiently clear.

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com