From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:34:12 -0400
If you've taken apart other items likeTV remote controls or electronic
toys, you could probably do it.  If you're going to take it somewhere,
try to get a price before you start.  An experienced shop should
probably know what is required without taking it apart.
Before you attempt to take it apart, you may wish to identify the part #
for the motherboard.  Dell's website will probably provide that for
you.  Then try to find a picture of the motherboard on the web, or maybe
ebay.  From the picture, you may be able to determine if the usb
connector is soldered in place or if there are screws holding it to the
case or the motherboard.  The motherboard could be cracked (maybe epoxy
would repair it if the printed circuitry is not broken), solder
connections could be coming loose (resolder carefully), or just
tightening a few loose screws may solve the problem.  Maybe the usb
socket needs to be replaced.   You might even find directions on the web
showing how to take apart the case.
Make sure power is disconnected.  Opening the case can be a little
tricky.   I would remove the battery, floppy and/or cd drives, maybe the
memory before starting.  Sometimes, there are screws inside these areas
that hold the case together.  I suggest you make a diagram of where each
screw came from, often different length or different diameter screws are
used.  And you need a place to put the screws when removed.  An ice cube
tray works for some people - each cube can represent a location on your
diagram.  Most cases have numerous screws, some are hidden under the
little rubber feet, sometimes underneath the labels.  Expect several at
the rear, they may be both on the top and the bottom of the case near
the screen hinges.  After the screws are out, many cases need to be
unsnapped at several locations.  Gentle prying, a little inward pressure
near the 'snaps' will usually separate it.  Be careful prying and
pushing, you can crack the case or damage internal components or
wiring.  Be careful of the cables - the keyboard may be attached to the
top cover and a cable to the motherboard, ditto for the screen.
Once you get it apart, fix whatever the problem, clean any dust out of
the case and near the cooling fan and reassemble.

Susan Llewellyn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Latitude CSx laptop, approx 6 years old (no longer under
> any warranty).  When I plug into the USB port, the port moves and the
> connection is gone.  If I prop something  under the cable going into
> the port, it is okay, but that is not how I want to work things.  My
> question is this: Is it possible for me to open the laptop and repair
> the loose USB port, what should I look for and do or should I take it
> somewhere to have it repaired.  I have worked on desktop towers, so
> the inside workings don't scare me, just not sure if I should attempt
> this on my own.
> I am running Windows 98, the USB (listed under device manager) is
> Intel 83271AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller.
> Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
> Susan Llewellyn
>
>                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
>                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>