From:
"Paul E. Mason" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 08:11:09 -0500
Well, in the movies (during the short period I spent in the UK, I don't
remember ever hearing one myself), the English (maybe better defined as
European) police have a two-tone, two-beat siren.  In the US, our sirens are
a continuous 'wail' with an increasing and decreasing pitch.  It's the best
description I can give...no offense intended, if taken :-)

Paul