From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:34:33 -0500
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:14:41 -0500, C. Kuni <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From:    Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
> muscular ...The muscles of the distance runner will be using fats as
> fuel, so the body will store some fat to meet this need, and
> will be stubborn to give up its last reserves.
>
> ~~~~~~You had me up to that last bit.  I do not understand what is meant
> by "stubborn," since muscle cells do not have volition.

I meant that the body would be reluctant to give up the "last few lbs" of
fat reserve, since it has been conditioned to believe that it will need it
to fuel the running.  It's somewhat like how dehydration can cause water
retention.  The body thinks it will run out, so it hoardes what it has.
You "cure" that by drinking more water so the body perceives abundance and
lets go of the reserve.  If you're "teaching" your body to run on fat, it
will want to make sure there's some of it around (especially if the diet
is low in fat).

--
   Robert Kesterson