From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:42:42 -0700
On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Brenda Young wrote:

> Kristina, I don't think that's a stupid question at ALL!!!  I have
> wondered that myself when I buy herbs and stuff from our local
> nursery.  I can't get organic-grown stuff around here, either, for
> the most part.  I just treat it organically going forward, as you
> said, and hope for the best!!!
>
>   Love,
>   Bren, awaiting the answer, too  :)
>
> "Kristina K. Carlton" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>   Got a stupid question. If I buy a young apple tree that was NOT
> grown
> organically and plant it in organic soil and then don't use
> pesticides going
> forward, will I ever have organic apples?

There are quite a few folks who treat their plants homeopathically.
So, I guess the thing to do is look for a plant with vigorous
ancestors, if you can find out, and then just treat it as well as you
can. If it gets sick, then we can look for a remedy:) I've not
treated plants yet, but one thing that makes a HUGE difference is
water. My fancy-schmancy Nikken filtered and magnetized water really
brought a couple of my houseplants out of the doldrums. Might be
worth putting an inexpensive (not Nikken, for sure!) magnet on your
hose bib line. The health, and content of your apples, will certainly
be dependent on soil and its amendments, mostly, and of course the
lack of pesticides. Be prepared for aphids; oil soap and ladybugs are
the best to ward them off. But, as with anything, I'm sure a healthy
plant is more resistant to pests.

"Organic" is a definition thought up by the USDA to control
commercial produce and livestock production. You can check to see
what it entails, but it might not make a whole lot of difference
whether you meet it or not with your own trees.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!