Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:24:57 -0500
> Hi Todd;
>
> I think in order to emulate the HG somewhat, daily walking, at a minimum,
> would no doubt be in order - which may be hard to do depending on a
> person's
> lifestyle. I am lucky that I live half an hour's walk to work so I get an
> hour of walking every day during the work week.

Oh I completely agree.  One of the things that happened when I became
dept. chair is that I became *far* more sedentary--completely sedentary.
One of the advantages of being an academic is having a flexible schedule,
but that advantage went away and it became a regular "desk job".  I was in
my office all day, every day, writing memos, letters, reports, dealing
with students, irate parents, scheduling, etc., etc.  I did take up golf,
which is, despite certain stereotypes, pretty good exercise if you walk
(as I almost always do).   It's even better if you really suck, as I do,
since you spend a lot of time hunting for golf balls in the woods.  But
that's not something I do on a daily basis.

I fell into the weight-training trap, too.  I've been an ardent believer
in strength training for years, and I've done a lot of it.  But after a
year or two, you reach your genetic ceiling and you're just *not* going to
build much more muscle, unless you take steroids.  That doesn't make
further weight-training pointless, since it enables you to keep what you
have, and helps bone density, etc.  But it's the nature of high-intensity
training that you don't do it often.  So it's really not a bad idea at all
to do something else, and that's what I haven't been doing.

So, I'm just starting out by doing some brisk walking and take it from there.

Todd Moody