Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:40:21 -0500

I consume both fish oil and flax oil and wild fish and pasture-fed meats.
One thing about omega 3's is it's difficult these days to consume them in
the quantities our ancestors did. You have to consume more fish oil than
most people do to match the 3 grams/day of DHA and EPA omega 3's our
ancestors consumed. So the more healthy sources of omega 3's, the better.
Which is one reason why I'm hoping that the criticisms of flax seed meal and
oil do not prove correct.

Long Chain Omega 3 Fatty Acids (EPA and DHA) in the diet
(http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_format/Omega-3_Fatty_Acids.cfm):

. Traditional Greenland Inuit Eskimo took in 7-10 grams/day.

. Late-Paleolithic hunters: 3 grams/day.

. American Heart Association Recommendation of 3 servings of fish per week
will give 0.5 g/day.

. Current American intake is 0.12 grams/day.

A teaspoon serving of Carlson fish oil contains  1.3 g of long-chain omega 3
fatty acids (EPA and DHA). That means unless we consume other sources of DHA
and EPA, we need to take 2.3 tsps (or 11.5 softgels!) a day to match our
Paleo ancestors intake. Forget about trying to match the Eskimo intake! :-)