From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:51:24 -0500
William wrote:
> Eat raw for long enough (takes years) and then taste cooked meat. You
> would then believe that cooking meat began much more recently than
> 100,000 years ago.
> Just because we are so degenerate that we can't tell good from bad
> doesn't mean that our ancestors were the same.

This premise doesn't really support much of anything, except that people
can get so used to one way of eating that they prefer it.  Plenty of
people eat cooked meat so routinely that they prefer it, and don't care
for raw.  This preference doesn't prove that eating raw meat is
"degenerate."  If those who eat raw meat for a long time find that
cooked meat tastes bad, that doesn't show anything either.  Some other
kind of evidence is needed to show when people started cooking meat.

"The first reasonably good evidence of cooking is in the form of burned
bones at the Chinese site of Zhoukoudian dating sometime between 550,000
and 300,000 years ago.  All of these sites in Africa and Asia with
uncertain fire use indications presumably would have been occupied by
/Homo erectus"  /(http://anthro.palomar.edu/homo/homo_3.htm)/

/Todd Moody