From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:01:47 -0400
Everyone @ As If Productions wrote:

>> I am also eating a lot of butternut and acorn squash, which helps me
>> overcome the potato/pasta loss.
>

> I don't know about acorn squash, but you go easy on that butternut,
> it's a definite trade-off.  Great source of potassium (which is always
> appreciated on a high-protein diet), but you're looking at 90% simple
> carbs and 6g of sugar == a high glycemic load.  And people tend to put
> sugar on butternut squash, while the potato gets salt.  Health-wise,
> you'd be better off eating the potato (88% carbs and 2g sugar).

I think butternut squash isn't such a bad deal.  It's more watery than a
potato, so its carb content per serving is less.  A cup of butternut is
only about 16g of carbs, of which 2g are sugars.  A cup of potato is
about 25g of carbs, 1g of which is sugar.  (Source: USDA, values for one
cup=140g).  It's definitely a bad idea to put sugar on the squash
though.  The Wikipedia has an interesting entry on squashes, including
the detail, which I never knew before, that the term "squash" comes from
a Narragansett Indian word meaning "green thing eaten raw."

Todd