From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:37:47 +0900
On Sunday, March 27, 2005, at 02:13  PM, Tom and Anne Donlon wrote:
> First and most important, any suggestions on transitioning my son?  He
> only
> eats soy patties, yogurt, crackers, bread w/peanut butter (well, almond
> butter now), and other non-paleo foods. He won't touch meat or
> veggies, and
> sometimes I have to try hard to get fruit in him.

If he is hungry for a while he will eat! Try different ways of cooking.
Most kids crave greasy, fatty meat, so try that. I am lucky, my kids
eat veggies etc without any fuss, but we started them on home made baby
foods right off the bat, pureed meats, veggies, fruits. We made batches
and then froze them in ice cube trays. So making a baby meal was just
thawing out a few cubes of different stuff and warming it up. Worked
pretty well. We rarely used commercial baby foods except when out of
the house.

> --Did you gradually change your eating habits, or abruptly change
> everything
> at once?

I went Atkins first then gradually moved to paleo. I make a lot of
exceptions even now though. I eat a fair amount of cheese, yougurt etc.

> --Do the cravings go away, and when?

Eat sweets and they all come back! Keep low carb high fat and it isn't
so hard.

> --Anyone lose a significant amount of weight? How long did it take?
> Did you
> have to do anything besides eating paleo (count calories, limit certain
> foods, etc.)?

I only lose weight when on paleo and exercise. Paleo alone doesn't do
it for me.

> --Also, where do you get your food? I don't want to eat grain-fed
> meat. But
> I also wanna be able to keep putting money in my son's college fund!
> Did
> your food bill go up when you started buying nuts and meats and lots
> of nut
> butters and flours and organic produce? I'm assuming that it'll even
> out
> since I won't be buying all the other stuff - ?

It isn't so expensive once you get into it. You find which cheap meats
you like. These days I eat a lot of pork heart because it is easily the
cheapest meat I can find, and it tastes good. I asked at a small
butcher and they are happy to get rid of it. I can't get grass-fed meat
here, and don't worry about it.

> --Is flax paleo?

Much debated.

> --Do you take supplements?

Nope. Used to, but they seem to disagree with me.