From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:03:20 -0500
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:46, Wally Day  wrote:

>"Anecdotally", I have noticed this "winter mode" in myself. It is much
>harder for me to shed fat in the winter than in the summer, regardless of
>activity levels.

It's the opposite for me, but I think I know the reason.  It's summer now and there is glorious and
abundant ripe fruit: apricots, peaches, locuts, blackberries, nectarines - all in my neighbourhood
and all fresh and free.  Very more-ish and I'm allowing myself to eat at will (all raw).  So, I'm
putting on a little body fat.

Rob Faigin gives thirteen references to suport his assertion that: "Whereas restricting calories
causes a metabolic slowdown, consuming extra calories causes your body to step-up metabolic
rate in order to 'waste' calories.  Thyroid activity, thermogenisis and leptin levels each increase
during over-eating."

Faigin also writes: "A thyroid hormone calles *trilodothyronine* (T3) is a key regulator of metabolic
rate and calorie restriction causes a decline in T3.  Studies also show that diets that continuously
restrict carbohydrate (like the Atkins diet) cause a reduction in T3 and that administering
cabohydrate can restore T3 levels after they have declined.  This ... explains why the fat comes
piling back on once you quit such a diet.  Simply put, any diet that causes a reduction in T3 levels
is not a viable means of achieving lasting fat loss."

Faigin also gives four references which point to sleep deprivation altering thyroid hormones and
three references which point to overtraining having the same effect.

I can't remember where I read it, but about two years ago I recall reading (from a non-crazy
source) that brassicas should be cooked.  I steam mine lightly, but also, like you, enjoy them raw.
I used to like raw cabbage when I was a kid.

I don't know how much tea you were drinking previously, but I doubt you'd experience any aches
from giving it up, especially at your age :-)

Ashley - you seem to be running a number of 'experiments' simultaneously.  I doubt if you'll be
able to separate the effects of each one.

>> I've heard only anecdotal reports of this, on one of the lowcarb
>> "technical" lists.  I.e., some people have done extended Atkins
>> induction/ketosis and had thyroid function tested and found that it
>> slowed--very possibly the "winter mode" effect you mention.

A couple of winters ago I was on Paleo low carb and in ketosis most of the time (I know I was, as
extreme exertion in the gym gave me a metalic smell in my nostrils).  I did feel a bit depressed
(though my wife didn't notice it when i told her about it a year later) but I also felt the cold that
winter more than ever before.  At the time I put feeling cold down to thyroid deficiency but never
followed it up to see what might have caused the thyroid problem.  The slight depression I put
down to the personal adjustment I was going through having switched from active full-time
employment to retirement on a quarter the income.  Another lesson that in experiments with one
subject, it's not really possible to control for the many, many variables.

Keith