C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christine Ode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:26:43 -0600
I know I am late in responding to this but you will have to forgive me.
Grad school is a bit busy and I just sat down and read a whole bunch of
emails from the list. I think I wouldn't have had the self control to
not say anything to this person. I tend to come out swinging when stuff
like that happens. But then again I learned from the best. When she was
in fourth grade, my older sister had a picture of me for a class project
and some boy made a comment about "the cripple" she slapped him and
called him an ass hole (a huge offence in my strict family let me tell
you!) when the teacher called to tell my parents about it I was sure
Bethany would be grounded for life. She wasn't my parents talked to each
of us saying she was right to defend me but went about it the wrong way.
I was 7 and my parents made it clear that Nobody had the right to insult
me. They went over better ways to deal with the situation and taught all
of us to stand up for ourselves in both their words and actions... it is
the best lesson I could have ever learned. Even if I do get a little
loud sometimes I hope I can teach one person that people with
disabilities deserve respect just like any other minority group. Oh...
and my sister was then and will always be my hero!

Christine