Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:40:21 -0500
From:

I thought colostrum was only in a cow's milk during late pregnancy and for a
few days after giving birth. How do you know there's colostrum in the milk
you're getting, or do you get that from a supplement?

> such as fruit juices and most oils, others are civilized answers to
> obtaining what are really good foods, and the dairy is certainly in
> that category. It appears I feel that dairy almost "should"
> have been
> Paleo, because of its value:)

You're free to choose what you like, of course. However, what is "Paleo" is
not really supposed to be based on what we feel should have been Paleo, but
the types of foods that Paleolithic people actually ate. There are gray
areas of course, and some foods included in modern "Paleo" diets are
modified versions of Paleo foods, but so far I haven't seen any evidence
that Paleolithic people commonly ate dairy products beyond breast milk
during infancy, and certainly not butter. It was suggested that Paleo
hunters might have gotten milk from the occasional dead lactating animal--an
auroch, reindeer, elk or horse perhaps--but not often enough for humans to
have adapted to milk drinking in adulthood, much less of another animal.

> ... anecdotal; I know of a few humans - after all, not many eat well
> enough to apply for the position - who have had allergic
> reactions to
> flax, and/or have done much better when they quit eating it. In  ...

It's ironic; I worked in a heath food/supplement store for a while and
flaxseed meal and oil were two of the few products that actually worked
really well for mutiple customers and I never got any complaints (minerals
also generated lots of good reports). I also saw that what works for one may
not for another, so I can believe that it could have negative effects on
some people. I've had good luck with it myself, though not as amazing
results as I witnessed some other people have. Instead of it cracking my
lips, I actually have used flaxseed oil to heal my lips (among other uses)
when they occasionally get dry. By contrast, the colostrum supplements we
carried were not big sellers and no one reported positive results. I guess
our experiences have been quite different. This illustrates one reason why
scientists rely on controlled studies and statistically significant surveys
instead of anecdotal reports.