From:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:03:45 -0800

I received more email asking for a summary than
information about L-Carnitine.  I think we should all
do our homework first before deciding to take this
supplement.  For example, I was emailed this:

"Many of us take glutamine, some take lysine also, & I
use taurine to help "bump up" some metabolic
pathways...  I would consider it harmless, as long as
you get it from a trusted
source."

So I have been reading info on Glutamine:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR500551
And then I found this on Lysine:  Coldsores???
http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/ds/dsLysine.php
Taurine supplements would not be for me...from
Shellfish?? I am anaphylaxis to iodine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine

Other emails sent to me:
"I was very deficient in carnitine when I was dxed
with celiac disease 6 years ago.  I took supplements
for it.  First ones that were prescribed by my
doc--they were fine.  But my insurance stopped paying
and it was cheaper to buy them OTC."

"I take it daily.  Doctor mandates.  Get the
acetyl-L-carnitine.  It's better then the
L-carnitine."
These have different benefits, different concerns.
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/ace_0013.shtml

"i've been taking it for a couple of years. It didn't
help to loose weight, but it helps greatly for
depression, memory problems. One negative thing: you
can develop a dependency on it."
I am still researching this...the dependency...I
haven't found info yet backing this.

So all-in-all...what others have said may not be right
for each  of us.  Do your research, talk with your
doctor.  I will be doing just that.