Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:13:17 -0500

Here's another flourless cake recipe someone sent me. FYI, someone sent me the one I lost. I posted it earlier tonight to the list. Thanks. Lin

Flourless chocolate cake

½ cup espresso (or very strong coffee)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking powder
3/4 cup white sugar
18 ounces chocolate
(Kraterfield prefers
Ghirardelli's milk chocolate;
Toll House chips work, too)
1 cup unsalted butter
6 eggs
8 ounces whipping cream
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Set aside an ungreased springform pan.

Add espresso, salt, sugar and baking powder. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
In microwave oven melt the chocolate, checking for doneness every 30 seconds.

Cut the butter into pieces and beat it into chocolate, one piece at a time. Beat in the hot sugar-water. Slowly beat in eggs, one at a time.

Pour the batter in pan and bake cake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet; it will also be a little fallen.

As the cake cools, whip whipping cream with powdered sugar. Kraterfield adds a glug of coffee-flavored syrup because she has it on hand but says to flavor it as you wish (a little cocoa for a chocolate taste or a little vanilla extract).

Spread whipped cream to a half-inch depth in the center of the cake where it has fallen. (Although the cake is supposed to fall, Kraterfield added the cream topping, partly because she thought it looked better.)

Chill cake overnight in pan. Serve cold and don't forget to share with your friends.