Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:12:14 -0500
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:12:24 -0700, Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>... Actually cold pizza
>beats the heck out
>of sugared cereals as a breakfast.  It at least has some protein.
>Especially if you peeled
>the topping off the crust and gave the crust to the chickens.  :-)
>
>    Lynnet

I agree with you there, a little pepperoni or sausage puts pizza above
sweetened (Wheaties is sweetened with sugar, corn syrup, and brown sugar
syrup, for example) cereal with milk, but at least whole grain cereal is
consistent with the standard stance that these health organizations
usually take (as misguided as it is). As I remember it, it used to be that
pretty much everyone recognized that cold pizza or spaghetti made from
refined grains was not health food or a good way to get energy for the day
and certainly not breakfast food. The thinking behind cereal for breakfast
is that whole grains provide healthy fiber (bogus of course--but the
standard view). I'm not sure what the AAP's thinking behind refined-grain
pizza and spaghetti is. Maybe this is part of the carb-loading insanity--
or maybe they were just guided by the modern food industry that funds them.