From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:00:32 +0000
 The trouble with coconut-oil and palm-oil is that, unlike olive oil, they are also being used as biofuel, so waste far greater areas of land. Not only  have there been serious questions raised re the actual value of biofuels re reducing global warming(especially since cultivating biofuels has seriously helped to destroy our last remaining rain-forests), but there have also been a lot of recent reports in the media linking recent significant rises in global food-prices to the cultivation of biofuels as that has greatly reduced the amount of land available for growing crops purely for food-consumption.

Geoff> ------------------------------> > Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:15:22 -0700> From: steve <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: PALEOFOOD Digest - 23 Jan 2008 to 24 Jan 2008 (#2008-21)> > Personally, olive oil works for me. Coconut oil is also effective but > I'm not too fond of the flavor. I don't see how olive oil or avocado > oil can be environmentally friendly as they take up valuable habitat to > cultivate as well. While some look at how land has been reoriented > towards coconut and/or palm oil and see a habitat loss, olive and > advocate trees happened to require the same land reorientation but most > of it happened a long time ago. I recommend that it is very rational > for one to choose what they personally find most healthy. If their are > consequences to their choice, then prices will go up or down over time > to reflect that (assuming that regulations don't interfere from market > forces finding the point where value=cost).> > Steve
Telly addicts unite!
http://www.searchgamesbox.com/tvtown.shtml