Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:20:04 -0700
Marilyn Harris wrote:
>> Yes, I generally use 1 or 2 tablespoons per day, which also provide a
>> liberal amount of vitamin D.  So the problem is getting more D than
>> 1300-2600 IU?
>
> Hi Todd:
>
> Yes, I think that someone else here (was it Steve?) seems to think
> that we need far more than what is currently recommended. The problem
> with getting any more than whatever is in 2 tablespoons of CLO is
> problematic because of the Vit A content unless one takes supplements.
>
> Marilyn

I think the building consensus by doctors researching this area is that
the normal lab range for vitamin D is too low and even then most people
are deficient.  Because of the modern lifestyle (little sun, fully
clothed) and longer lifespan (the older you get the less vitamin D you
make), one will need to supplement sometimes quite a bit.  The ONLY way
to know how much you need is to have your blood checked.  I'm currently
taking 7350 IU/day and my blood work places me just over the lab's mid
reference range and my last blood test was early fall.  I suspect that
my optimum amount is closer to 10,000 IU per day in the summer and I
will make adjustments after my next blood test soon.

Steve