From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:57:48 -0500
Ashley Moran:
> Hmmm, did we settle this one at last?  The opinion so far seems to be:
>
> If you use the sharp stick test...
> - tomatoes and peppers are paleo
> - potatoes are not

As Todd mentioned, the sharp stick test doesn't apply to everything (peanuts
can be eaten raw, for example).

> And since tomatoes and peppers are common antigens, perhaps the best
> advice to newbie paleo-dieters is "avoid potatoes, eat tomatoes and
> peppers if you want, and if you can"?

Maybe. People with gout and other forms of arthritis are often advised to
avoid all nightshades.

To sum up, I guess we weren't able to find any references with a specific
and conclusive answer, but it seems that peppers and tomatoes were less
toxic than potatoes in their original, wild forms, so they are more likely
Paleo than potatoes.