From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:07:15 +0000
On Mar 08, 2007, at 1:24 pm, Paleo Phil wrote:

> You might want to start at 10 mg, since women have lower zinc
> requirements
> than men.

If I meet a woman I suspect to have zinc deficiency, I'll be sure to
pass on this advice ;o)

> I would expect two or more symptoms if you were deficient, but
> we'll see.
>
> "Some of the symptoms of zinc deficiency include loss of appetite,
> poor
> growth, weight loss, impaired taste or smell, poor wound healing, skin
> abnormalities (such as acne, atopic dermatitis and psoriasis), hair
> loss,
> lack of menstrual period, night blindness, hypogonadism and delayed
> sexual
> maturation, white spots on the fingernails and feelings of
> depression."
> http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Zinccs.html

I have impaired smell, poor wound healing and acne.  I also have
complete lack of menstrual period, but this is something I am hoping
zinc will not change.  My night vision is excellent and I don't have
hair loss, or depression.  So I'm not a brilliant fit, but it's only
costing me £6 to find out.