From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 23:47:05 +0000
On Mar 06, 2007, at 11:18 pm, Paleo Phil wrote:
> While it's probably a good idea to come to terms with remaining health
> problems, I wouldn't totally give up hope yet that they might improve
> further. After all, Paleo dieting is still fairly new so not many
> people
> have been doing it for very long.

Well, only a few million years, with a little break ;)

> Well, remember that even Paleolithic people deteriorated with age,
> so it's
> something anyone who lives long enough must come to terms with.
> However, it
> is indeed frustrating that the rate of deterioration could have
> been slowed
> through better diet had we known better. Perhaps it's good to get
> angry over
> it and channel that energy into some sort of positive action.

I am often tempted to channel it into the next doctor I see
prescribing statins and a low-fat diet, preferably through something
very sharp.  Is that positive? :D

I'm sure paleo man had more inner peace than me...

> Warning: This is based only on my own experience and research, so
> please do
> your own checking before going above 30 mg / day (you may find
> something
> that I missed).

> 20mg is a good dose because it's fairly small and you can take
> multiple tabs
> to gradually increase the dose instead of having to cut up a larger
> dose. I
> would try 20mg for a few days to a week. If that doesn't work I would
> increase to 40mg and try again for a few days, increasing to a
> level you are
> comfortable with. If you hit 100-130 mg with no response then zinc
> may not
> work for you.
>
> If anyone has any cautions or advice to add feel free, because I
> don't claim
> to be an expert on zinc.

Thanks for the advice.  I will take 1 tablet per day and increase one
per day per week.  That gives me about 4 1/2 weeks off a 90 tablet
bottle, which should be enough to prove or disprove a zinc
deficiency.  I don't have white spots on my fingernails, but I do
have a really poor sense of smell.

I'll keep you posted how I get on

Cheers
Ashley