Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:59:27 -0500

I've had those same basic experiences too. A little bit of rice products or
sucrose-sweetened foods doesn't effect me noticably, but too much has
negative effects, and even a little requires more tooth brushing. I haven't
noticed it as much with the Paleo carbs, except possibly honey, but I know
many people have reported that here.

I wish I liked animal fats more, but the texture, taste and mouth feel of
meat fats has never appealed to me and my gag reflex kicks in when I try to
swallow too much of the stuff. The idea of eating animal fat does not bother
me--I want to eat it--so I don't understand it fully. This tendency seems to
run on my father's side of the family, as he prefers and his mother
preferred very lean meats. I hope that fish oil, olive oil, seed oils and
nut oils can provide me enough healthy fats and that seed oils are not as
bad as some people here have said, because I find it difficult to eat much
animal fat--always have. I also haven't been pleased with the results of my
cooking with coconut oil, but I hope I just need to get used to it or get
better at cooking with it. Seemed to give everything a coconut flavor when I
used it--do I just need to use less or something?

I find I much prefer bison and hunted venison over the commercial meats,
which look and taste much fattier. It's amazing to see the difference when
cooking bison burgers and commercial hamburger patties side by side. The
commercial beef splatters out scalding fat, whereas I can't see any fat come
out of the bison burgers.

I've noticed that certain cultures, such as Caribbean, tend to like animal
fat more than Americans tend to (at least northeastern Americans, that is).
For example, when I grabbed a fatty piece of meat out of a pot once, a
Jamaican-American friend who had cooked it said something like, "No, you
won't be able to eat that Jamaican style piece. Take a lean American-style
piece."