From:
Adam Sroka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:45:35 -0600
Andrea Hughett wrote:
> --- Don H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>> I've been experimenting with the Paleo diet off & on
>> now for several
>> months  and noticed a tendency towards constipation.
>>

> More fat can help. Many vegetables, especially in the
> cabbage family, are high in fiber, and I also use
> flaxseed and psyllium. (Both are controversial among
> paleos, but I figure paleo vegetables were most likely
> higher in fiber than farmed veges of today, and it's a
> lot better than getting the extra fiber from grains.)
>
> Also the on and off may be an issue. Chances are once
> you go exclusively paleo your gut will adjust and you
> will no longer have a problem.
>
> Andrea

My personal experience has been that I am a lot more regular on a paleo
diet, but that it takes as much as a week or two for my body to adjust
if I change my diet. When I am not following a strict paleo diet I
generally don't get constipated, but my movements tend to be in smaller
pieces and take more effort to pass. Not so much effort that I would
call it "constipation" just more than when I am on the paleo diet. When
I am following my paleo diet, like I said it takes as much as a week or
two for my body to readjust, but then they come like clockwork and as a
single, large, slightly soft piece just like the doctor says they should
be. Then if I switch back to less-paleo (Usually because I am traveling)
I may go a few days without a movement, and then they are back to the
former, less ideal type.

Maybe that was more detail than you wanted ;->