ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:56:51 -0600
A couple definitions and then a comment.

Old Testament:7623
shabach (shaw-bakh'); a primitive root; properly, to address in a loud
tone, i.e. (specifically) loud; figuratively, to pacify (as if by words):

KJV - commend, glory, keep in, praise, still, triumph.

New Testament:1391
doxa (dox'-ah); from the base of NT:1380; glory (as very apparent), in a
wide application (literal or figurative, objective or subjective):

KJV - dignity, glory (-ious), honour, praise, worship.

This scripture comes to mind...

John 9:1-3
As He passed by, He saw a man blind from birth.
2 And His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents,
that he would be born blind?"
3 Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents;
but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

Of course he was subsequently healed and all in the community noticed he
now could see and gave credit to Christ, who of course gave credit to all
he did and was to the Father.

I think we naturally look for "glory of God" in situations as being the
healing so that others can easily see God's hand and honor and power and
etc. I suppose it could be said as well that we can also see the glory of
God in even our situation not yet healed and how we still trust and believe
and etc., however I myself , though I do trust and have faith, tend to
shirk from considering "blindness" as a glorification of God. Not because I
don't want to give glorification, but I have yet to see glorification to
God of my blindness in the witness of on lookers. But then, my life isn't
for onlookers to view as a side show either, and what glory I can give God
from my life as it is, is wonderful and privilege to be a part of that. I'm
not sure God gets honor and etc. from my blindness, or from anyone's
sickness. If there were glory to be found in illness and disease
themselves, there'd be more of it and Jesus wouldn't have felt the
compassion he did towards those who suffered as such. It isn't easy to
understand is it. I assume this has something to do with the young lady
Christian and Focus on the Family?

Brad