ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:41:52 -0700
Kathy,

I am glad our got the email problem fixed.  Yes, the weekend was a nail
biter for lots of people.  I was hoping the Bears would win and they came
close, of course, but they, too, just got out played.  After church,
everybody stayed for lunch so we turned on the radio and the TV and watched
the Steelers and the Colts.  Man, what a game.  It was almost as good as
arena football.  I listen to as many of the Arena football games the Denver
Crush plays as possible.  Man, if you stop listening to an arena football
game in the last 60 seconds of the game, you'll likely miss who wins.
That's the way the Colts and the Steelers game went.  The Bears and Panthers
weren't far behind.  The best, and most exciting, game I ever watched in pro
ball was years ago when Chicago was red hot.  They came to Denver to play
and Denver won in the last few seconds of the game because the Chicago
quarterback made a mistake and tried to jam the ball into Refigerator
Perry's stomach to pick up the first down nearly at the goal line.  Perry
bobbled the ball around because he wasn't supposed to get it and Denver
stopped him inches from the first down and won the game.  That game was back
and forth so many times, you could hardly stand to watch it and you didn't
dare go to the bathroom without taking the radio with you for fear you'd
miss something.  Boy, that must have been 15 years ago when that game was
played.  The only one like it that I ever heard was when Nebraska and
Oklahoma played back in 1972 when Sandy and I had just gotten married.  34
years ago now.  In fact, I bet we had only been married for about a week
before that game was played.  President Richard Nickson actually called and
congratulated the Nebraska coach after the game they said so that shows you
how mixed up Nickson was, haw.  That game was the most exciting I have ever
heard over the years.  Nebraska, I forget who they played in the bowl game,
but they won by like 40 points and Oklahoma played Alabama in their bowl
game and beat them for the number two slot and they won by about 40 points.
Shoot, they should have just let Nebraska and Oklahoma play against each
other once again for the top spot in the final bowl game because it would
have been more exciting.  Everybody poo poos arena football and so did I
until I listened to a couple of games.  Man, if you want wall to wall action
and excitment, arena football has got it all.  John Elway is part owner of
the Denver Crush team and last year was his third year of ownership when the
Crush took first place.  Speaking of a storm, we were supposed to get 7
inches over night but it never happened.  The mountains, fortunately, are
having record snow falls this season so that will help a lot for the run off
season this spring.  Denver has had very little snow and it is way below
norm.  It was over 60 degrees on Christmas day but before that, we had a
couple of days when it actually dropped below zero and that doesn't happen
often here.

Phil.