From:
Richard Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 13:44:17 000

k2lkk wrote:
   >That is correct, because anything that changes the dielectric
   >constant between the two conductors affects the impedance of the
   >transmission line and probably the velocity factor as well, and it
   >affects the way that it tunes.  Proximity to other metal objects
   >such as other antennas, chain link fences, and even aluminum siding
   >on houses can cause all kinds of problems with this type of antenna.
   >I have even found that because this is essentially a reactive load,
   >even the length of the coax can make a big difference.  I had
   >trouble with mine on 15 meters until I added 10 feet of coax!  That
   >is why there is a recommendation to get it as far up in the air as
   >possible.  Many of these variables become insignificant if you can
   >get it way up there, but if you can't (like myself) then you just
   >fudge with it until you strike a happy medium that you can live
   >with.
true enough.  I had to clear a bunch of tree branches away
from mine to get it to play.
DId you wind the balun out of coax as advised in the
instructions for these/

I've got one about 30 feet up in a tree for the center, i
can work on its coax connector while kneeling out in the
yard <grin>.  The twin lead hangs straight down touching
nothing, about 30 feet away from this mobile home.  COunting
that I used for the balun I've got about 100 ft. of rg8
feeding it.  Plays well on 75 40 and 20.

what else can you tell us about the config for the g5rv?
tHey work best as either a true inverted vee config or as a
flat top.

For your vertical, you might play with the number of radials
and their configuration.  YEars ago I got a hustler vertical
donated by a friend of mine.  I couldn't get the sucker to
play at all when roof mounted.  I brought the dude down to
ground mounted from a clothesline pole, drove a good ground
stake and put radials for 80 40 and 20 meters off it.
SUddenly the thing played like a champ in my sub-bands of
interest.
Am getting ready for 30 feet of tower out here and
considering feeding it as a vertical fo 160 and 75.  HOwever
the only ways I can see to do it right would require me to
dig a trench for some conduit out to the tower base and a
housing for the electrical motor to drive the matching
apparatus.  <more work>

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb,
Electric Spider Productions,