From:
Walt Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 09:13:49 -0400
Phil -

I _knew_ that you were one of the guys for whom that "announcement" was
probably a breath of fresh air. I don't denigrate CW and have a great
respect for guys like you for whom it seems to come naturally, but I have a
tin ear (despite the stereotype, I'm about as completely unmusical a blind
person as you'll ever see) and it was never easy for me, except at the
original 5 wpm rate, which I had no trouble with. I hit the 11 wpm plateau,
though, and had a really tough time getting to 13 to pass my General exam.
In fact, I took a hiatus of almost a year away from ham radio and then, when
I came back, I was able to get over the hump. I used to dream about an Extra
ticket, but knew that the code requirement would always make it impossible,
but maybe it's not completely outside the realm of possibility now.

I am glad that CW is no longer a _requirement_, though. For those, like you,
who love it and use it, that's great--and I'm sure that there'll always be
hams who'll continue the tradition. The original reason for it being
required, however, is long gone and never to return. What I _would_ favor
would be some kind of special privileges for the true CW operators. Of
course, they already have the incentive of being able to use the CW portions
of the bands (and I hope that there won't eventually come a day, as I fear
there will, when pressure starts coming to pare down those frequencies and
turn them over to phone ops), but maybe some kind of CW ticket or
endorsement would be appropriate for those who want to make the effort.