From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:43:29 -0500
Hi Tom.

The conflict between JAWS and your audio sounds is probably the fault of
the sound card that you are using.  Using a multi-channel cound card such
as the Sound Blaster Live or similar card will improve this situation a
lot.  There are only two issues that I've found to be attributable to a
slow machine--stuttering because the processor can't generate speech
through the software synthesizer in real time, and run-on speech when you
are trying to silence JAWS, usually do to the inability to index speech
under such conditions.  If you can get your hands on a hardware
synthesizer, it will usually solve both of these problems.  It would be an
alternative to the multi-channel sound card, too, but replacing the sound
card would be much much less expensive.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 07:19 PM 1/3/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, all.
>
>This might be another case of trying to get a dinosaur computer to do what
>is not possible, but I just thought I'd ask the opinions of the group before
>I think seriously about replacing another computer.
>
>In the ham shack, I currently run an old HP Pentium 566 computer.  The
>machine has windows 98 SE as its operating system, and is running on Jaws
>3.7.
>
>I am trying to get the computer to work effectively with the n3fjp logging
>software.  I am finding that, when I install and use the audio Wave files
>that accompany the n3fjp software, Jaws fights with it, and often the Wave
>files do not get spoken as they should when I tab from one entry field to
>the next.
>
>The Wave files work very effectively if I turn Jaws completely off, but
>then, of course, I can't double-check what I have typed into the logging
>program.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might solve this problem, short
>of getting a newer and faster computer?
>
>Perhaps the 566 just doesn't have enough power to do what I'm trying to do.
>
>I noticed on my program list that I have Jaws 3.7 and Jaws 3.7U, but don't
>want to take the chance of removing one of the programs unless I know for
>sure that I won't loose my Jaws speach in the process.
>
>Thanks very much, and best 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]