From:
Mike Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:57:02 -0600
I think you will find that the helically-wound vertical you are considering will behave more like a quarter-wave, even though it is wound with a half-wave length of wire.  A counterpoise or radials would be pretty important.

I played with a helically-wound vertical a long, long time ago.  It was intended for 80 meters and wound on a 12- or 16-foot length of wooden hand-rail stock which was prepared with several coats of polyurethane varnish.  Either PVC was not yet readily available at the time or I just wasn't aware of it.  The results were less than exciting, but I realize now that I didn't pay nearly enough attention to radials, etc.

73.

Mike, K9AZS