From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:27:38 -0400
Hi Howard.

I think you might also want to invest in a decent dehumidifier if you are
going to operate in the basement -- I wouldn't want to be that you couldn't
have run into the same problem with corrosion even if the radio was sitting
on its feet!

73, de Lou K2LKK

P.S.  Kenwood has specific warnings against operating its radios in moist
places such as basements.

At 07:19 PM 10/27/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>         Sent the ts480 in to be fixed.  It locked in Transmit.  Nothing
>except powering off the radio solved the problem.
>Well, I had put the radio on it's side, to save space.  I had the top
>of the radio pressed against the side of a cabinet.  I didn't realize
>that the top had a vent above the controller board.
>Well, the moisture in the basement corroded the board.  It has to be
>replaced, for a cost of $400.
>So my advice, don't do that.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK