From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:51:10 -0400
Hi, all.

I believe there was a discussion like this on the list regarding
the Kenwood TS2000 several weeks ago, but I missed the outcome of
the discussion because I was on vacation.

I'll try to explain my question here, and would appreciate any
help.

Don't laugh too loud if I'm asking a stupid question here, ok?

Here goes:

I currently use the talking SWR meter that was manufactured for a
while by Remy Simard.  But, I'm getting very strange readings,
depending on what rig and antenna I am using.

When I use the talking SWR meter  on my Icom 718, I get an
output power reading of approximately 100 watts with a 1 to 1 SWR
reading when emitting a continuous CW tone.  This indeed makes
sense.  The antenna that I'm doing the testing on with the 718 is
the Buddipole antenna, with a 25-foot feed line.

However, when I go to my Icom 746 rig, and put it on high power
which is supposed to be 100 watts, I only seem to get a reading
of 66 watts output power on CW.  In doing this, I still use a
continuous CW
tone, and make sure I'm at a 1 to 1 SWR reading with the antenna
I'm using.

The only difference I can think of that is causing these strange
readings is that the feedlines for the antennas that I use with
the Icom 746 are quite a bit longer than the feedline I use for
the antenna with the Icom 718.  Specifically, I estimate that the
feedlines are roughly 100 feet long.

Could this difference in feed line length alone explain the
discrepancies I'm getting?

Or, could there be something wrong with myIcom 746?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best 73 from Tom Behler: KB8TYJ