AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
PETER WUTEH VAKUNTA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:36:44 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Timely weather forecast would only serve as a makeshift solution to the
acute problem of climatic changes that has hit many subsaharan
countries hard. What has gone unnoticed by most role-players is the
impact of environmental illiteracy on most African communities. Because
the earth's carrying capacity can only take that much of environmental
exploitation, climatic changes have occasioned nefarious effects on the
lives of Africans.

Like you rightly put it," the severity of the weather during this
perioid(harmattan) could be attributed to other global extraneous
factors like climate change or shift in ozone layer, induced by the
effect of indiscriminate human activities on the fragile ecosystem."
You've put your finger on the the problem! Environmental degradation in
Africa is attributable to the indiscriminate exploitation of meagre
natural resources by impoverished communities.Most Africans eke out a
subsistenceliving through agricultural activities, many of which are
quite detrimental to the health of the ecosystem. Examples of such
activities include: deforestation, burning of farmland, overgrazing of
pastoral land, etc. The consequences of these unchecked humanan
activities are legion: GREEN HOUSE EFFECT, OZONE DEPLETION, AIR
POLLUTION, WATER POLLUTION, ETC.

What we need to do at this juncture is educate our people on the need
for environmental protection. We have to think globally and actlocally.
This calls for collective action because environmental problems know no
geographical boundaries. A natural disaster that occurs in Nigeria is
likely to have repercusions in CAMEROON, NIGER, CHAD and beyond. This
is what experts in the field call"tragedy of the commons".

The time for action is now. We have to launch genuine environmental
rehabilitation education programs in Africa.  Procrastination is the
thief of time!

PETER VAKUNTA