Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:46:20 -0400
7bit
From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks for the response, Ron.

Ron Hoggan:
> The two studies that
> connect cholesterol to SF are making a leap I'm not yet prepared to
> make
> with them. That is, they are equating CVD risk with cholesterol and I'm
> still not sure how good a predictor cholesterol is or how HDL/LDL
> ratios can
> do to help with accurate predictions.

Yes, I agree that the link between CVD and total LDL is inconclusive, though
the evidence connecting HDL (as well as triglycerides and C-reactive
protein) to CVD does appear to be fairly strong and not much in dispute. On
the other hand, the data I have seen from Dr. Cordain on LDL among
hunter-gatherers, youth, and other primates does show levels that tend to be
much lower than those of adults in modern societies, so I can't totally
discount the possibility that LDL (or at least number of LDL particles)
might be a problem. The fact that there are seemingly contradictory studies
on the CVD-LDL link doesn't mean that we can assume that very high levels of
LDL are no problem, as some in the low-carb camp apparently have. If we had
evidence that showed high LDL among all primates, hunter-gatherers and
infants in modern societies I think we could safely say that high LDL is no
problem, but since we don't the question deserves more study. Dr. Jim Otvos
apparently believes the main problem with the studies is that they focus on
LDL cholesterol levels instead of number of LDL particles, which he views as
a more effective indicator of atherosclerosis (I Know My LDL Cholesterol
Number - Isn't That Enough? http://www.lipoprofile.com/control.cfm?id=185).

Here are three sources that suggest a link between LDL and heart disease:

[Clinical trial; "LDL particle concentration (density) ... was a predictor
of future cardiovascular risk. However, the magnitude of predictive value of
LDL particle concentration (NMR) was not substantively different from that
of the total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol ratio and was less than that of
C-reactive protein."]

Low-Density Lipoprotein Particle Concentration and Size as Determined by
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy as Predictors of Cardiovascular
Disease in Women
Gavin J. Blake, MB, MSc, MRCPI; James D. Otvos, PhD; Nader Rifai, PhD; Paul
M Ridker, MD, MPH
From the Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention (G.J.B., N.R.,
P.M.R.), and the Divisions of Preventive Medicine (G.J.B., P.M.R.) and
Cardiovascular Disease (G.J.B., P.M.R.), Department of Medicine, Brigham and
Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass; and LipoScience, Inc
(J.D.O.), Raleigh, NC.
Clinical Investigation and Reports
Published online before print September 23, 2002,
doi:10.1161/01.CIR.0000033222.75187.B9
www.circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/106/15/1930

=========

[A doctor's treatment to lower his patients' cholesterol retention fraction
(CRF, or [LDL-HDL]/LDL) and systolic blood pressure (SBP) resulted in
angiographic plaque stabilization/regression in a minimum of 75% of cases."]

Low-Density Lipoprotein, Non-High-Density Lipoprotein, and Apolipoprotein B
as Targets of Lipid-Lowering Therapy
W.E. Feeman, Jr, MD
The Bowling Green Study, Bowling Green, Ohio
Correspondence
Circulation. 2003;107:e199.
C 2003 American Heart Association, Inc.
www.circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/107/20/e199

=========

[Native LDL (nLDL) has the direct atherogenic effect on human blood cells in
a laboratory of enhancing production of the inflammatory mediators tumor
necrosis factor (TNF) and interleukin-8 (IL-8).]

Netea MG, Kullberg BJ, Demacker PN, Jacobs LE, Verver-Jansen TJ, Hijmans A,
van Tits LH, Hoenderop JG, Willems PH, Van der Meer JW, Stalenhoef AF 2002
Native LDL potentiate TNF  and IL-8 production by human mononuclear cells. J
Lipid Res 43:1065-1071
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/ijlink?linkType=ABST&journalCode=jlr&resid=
43/7/1065

> I like the studies that get right
> the heart of the matter (please excuse the pun) and connect SF with CVD
> mortality or insulin resistance (the pancreas of the matter just
> doesn't
> sound right and the islet cells of the matter just sounds silly).

Yes, insulin resistance is connected to CVD. High triglycerides combined
with low HDL and high C-reactive protein are apparently indicators of
insulin resistance as well as CVD, as I recall.

Thanks for the input, Ron. If anyone else is familiar with the saturated fat
reports I posted or the LDL reports above, feel free to comment, including
any weaknesses you are aware of in these reports. I couldn't find any
criticism of these online by Anthony Colpo or Dr. Mike Eades.