Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:09:55 -0600
From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:57:19 -0600, Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:28:22 -0600, Robert Kesterson
> wrote:
>
>> ... I wasn't aware truffles were this pricey -- probably because I
>> don't eat
>> them.  Which is exactly my point.  If grass-fed beef were $1500/kg, I
>> wouldn't eat it either.
>
> I guess I'm not communicating some of my points well.

You're communicating fine, I just happen to disagree.  :-)

> The point of the
> truffles example was to show that people will steal and even kill when a
> food becomes valuable enough.

Truffles are also difficult (if not impossible) to domesticate.  Naturally
raised meats and vegetables are not in the same category.  Couple that
with the massive mind-shift that is necessary, and I just don't see it
happening.  Grains aren't going away.

> By saying that Paleo foods can only support up to 600 million people
> (possibly fewer), Cordain is indicating that there are limits to how much
> the supply of Paleo foods can be increased.

I think it is easy to underestimate mankind's ingenuity.

> The greenhouse and co-ops are good suggestions, folks. They are
> unfortunately not doable for me right now, as I own no land (not even a
> yard) and there is no co-op in my area, but they are workable for many
> people who are willing and able to put the time into it. Given the health
> benefits and potential future cost savings, it would be worthwhile.

They're worthwhile for all kinds of reasons.  Having a garden (or
greenhouse) is a good reason to get outdoors and move around a bit.  It's
not like real exercise, but it's a start, and you can probably use the
vitamin D.  Co-ops, farmers markets, and the like are a good place to
build networks of like-minded folks.  We've got several contacts now for
locally produced organic foods, including for several different kinds of
meat, veggies and fruits, etc., even organic raw milk if we were so
inclined.

Even if you live in an apartment in the city, chances are good that there
are sources within a reasonable distance from you.  There are several
farmers market directories online, for example:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/map.htm  (US)
http://www.farmersmarkets.net    (UK)
http://www.localharvest.org   (US)

Most farmers markets are seasonal, so by this time of the year most of
them are closed down for the winter (somebody should teach them about
unheated greenhouses and cold-hardy vegetables -- at this rate I'll still
be harvesting well into December, if not longer, and some crops will go
all winter long).

--
   Robert Kesterson