Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
wayne hammons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 09:14:06 -0600
>From: Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>

>Some parts of the brain can and will use ketones for energy, while
>others absolutely require glucose.  In addition, red blood cells and
>fast-twitch muscle cells require glucose.  As for whether the brain
>"prefers" ketones, it depends on how you look at it.  If glucose is
>available, the brain will use that instead of ketones, so I suppose you
>could say the brain prefers glucose.  On the other hand, you could also
>say that when glucose is abundant, the body tries to deal with it, not
>as a "preference" but as a way of regulating glucose levels.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback everybody provided.  I am pretty new at
this and am wanting to take care of myself. I thought it was interesting how
much information I could find on how to induce ketosis but how little there
was on how ketosis stops.  I did find an interesting article on
bodybuilder.com on Ketosis and bulking up for competition.

I would not ever jack around with my body like these body builders do,
however.  They would induce ketosis by eating less than 20-30 grams of
carbs.  Then they would break the carb fast on Friday afternoon and eat
feedlot style (food pyramid) until Saturday night.  Resume ultra-low carb
for Sunday through Wed. and then carbo load 500 grams in a sitting on Wed.
afternoon. Then resume ultra-low carb until Friday afternoon and cycle that
pattern.  They provided details on the science behind their theory but no
testimony from anybody that was following this pattern.  They coupled this
with work out patterns to maximize bulking action of these carb flash
floods.

I have eaten various amounts of carbs and once ate a piece of ice cream cake
and I get a pretty immediate and very unpleasant reaction to sugars.  I know
that bodybuilders have a higher tolerance for discomfort than I do but that
regime seems like it would be hell to me. However, they did address to some
degree the way a body that is in ketosis metabolizes carbs when they are
periodically overloaded.  It doesn't sound healthy but it probably wouldn't
kill you.

Wayne