AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:41:28 -0500
From:
John Stafford Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

               VISIT AFRICAN ASSOCIATION OF MADISON WEBSITE

                        http://www.africanassociation.org

                FOR LATEST INFORMATION ON AFRICA FEST 2009,

           MEMBERSHIP, COMMUNITY CALENDAR AND MUCH MORE....

I am quite familiar with Gates' work.

The issue is reality vs. exceptionalism.  People have voiced their
surprise over the fact that this happened to Gates and in Cambridge,
as if neither the man nor the city are part of the real racialized
world, and as if there are exceptions to racial profiling.  Some
criticize (not disrespect) Gates for aspiring to lofty places at the
sake of the less fortunate.  You can find criticisms similar to my own
about -he who pulled hard for Hillary because Obama wasn't black
enough, then sang "Amazing Grace" on the radio after the election-
(talk about disrespect), but probably not on his CV.

John