Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 20:46:23 +0000

Hello to all,
I have a question about lactose.  I have a casein allergy which was discovered last October although I had been avoiding dairy products for several years except a tsp of butter once in a while which I have since eliminated.   I still have malabsorption of Calcium, Magnesium and Amino Acids and all of these are very low after being very strictly gluten free for two years, yeast free, dairy free, soy free, sugar free, no tomatoes and very little citrus-just lemon and lime. I eat plenty of protein and protein supplements but it doesn't help. I have tried many different kinds of Magnesium and Calcium but don't tolerate them and even very small doses of Magnesium cause stomach aches and diarrhea. I also do not do well with raw vegetables so all vegetables are cooked.   I eat everything from home and most foods are fresh organic foods as I react violently to a tiny bit of gluten. My doctor is trying to figure out what is going on.  He is pretty sure things haven't healed up yet as I don'
t do well with anything that is harder to digest such as meat, nuts, fat, raw vegetables and he is starting me on weekly infusions of magnesium/calcium and amino acids for two months.  I went back to calling the drug companies of all the prescribed medicines and found a couple which contain lactose  one which is Fosamex.  One of the pharmacists seemed to think that I could ingest lactose in a medicine because it is a milk sugar and not the milk protein which I am allergic to.  I thought with a casein allergy that all milk products are out.  I can ask my pharmacist to compound the questionable medications.  Does anyone know if the price goes up with compounding and if the insurance co-pay in most plans covers compounding?   Also has anyone found that getting the last questionable lactose ingredients out of the medicine has made a difference in heakling the gut.  I already take pancreatic enzymes, and 30 billion of a very good probiotic daily along with 4,500 mg of L-glutamine daily.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Robin in Massachusetts