From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:55:08 -0700
If it is any consolation, searching the web indicates that others
have/had the same or similar problem. You have done the most frequent
recommendation in removing and reinstalling WMP. Other suggestions I found:

1) Make sure WMP is the default audio player for file types you are using.
2) Install the latest version of direct X and run the diagnostic routine.
3) Is the volume icon missing from the task bar? If so, note it on any
further posts since it seems to be an indicator of the problem.
4) Install the latest drivers for your sound device.
5) Make sure your sound is not muted. (Should be the first item.)
6) Send Microsoft an E-mail about the problem.

I'm not sure any of these suggestions work since no one with the problem
ever reported back on an actual solution that worked.

I hope you solve the problem. Please let us know what is happening
particularly when you get it fixed.

Tom Mayer

Loy Pressley wrote:
> I'm asking for help again since I didn't get any responses the first
> time and I still have the problem.
>
> Problem:  no sound out of Windows Media Player.  I have video but no
> sound.  Other thngs like my email client have the normal sounds and
> Media Player Classic plays sounds the way it normally does.
>
> I tried uninstalling Windows Media Player and installing another
> version.  That did not help...I still have no sound from it and but
> the video is still good.
>
> I seldom listen to CDs on my computer and I don't download and play or
> burn music to a CD.
>
> I believe that I lost the sound capability when Windows Update updated
> Windows Media Player quite awhile ago now,  but since I've uninstalled
> Windows Media Player and reinstalled a new version that I downloaded
> from Microsoft and that didn't fix the problem, it must be something
> else.  BTW, Windows Media Player worked just fine for a very long time
> before this problem occurred.
>
> I have WinXP home SR2, Dell Dimension L800r computer, 160 gig HD, 512
> megs ram.
>
> According to Device Manager, under Sound, video and game controllers,
> I have
>    Audio Codecs
>    Creative AudioPCI (ES1272,ES1373)(WDM)
>    Legacy Audio Drivers
>    Legacy Video Capture Devices
>    Media Control Devices
>    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
>    Video Codecs
>
> None of the above report any problems.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Loy
>
>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com