From:
Peetie Wheatstraw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:07:42 -0500

>Date:    Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:55:46 -0700
>From:    Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: pc3200 ddr400 memory speed
>
>As you know the Intel D865GVHZ has three bus speeds and supports three
>memory speeds. Since the CPU has a Bus speed of 533MHz, the motherboard
>will operate at 533MHz. I would have suspected that the memory would be
>automatically operating at 266 (which DDR doubles to 533 to match the
>bus speed). I don't know why it is indicated at 333. Maybe the BIOS
>memory speed is a manual rather than an automatic setting and it should
>be set to 266. It probably does not make any difference since, as I
>understand it, the RAM will only operate at 266.

OK. The Intel AMI bios sez "System Bus Speed", and it means
"The maximum (dual channel) fsb speed supported by the installed cpu".

I re-checked the Intel AMI bios parameters: it still sez
"System Memory Speed: 333". I've done nothing to set the
speed.

>The DDR400 will only operate at 400 if the Bus speed is 800MHz. It does
>not hurt to have RAM capable of 400 operate at 266. And, from what I've
>seen the PC3200 DDR400 is normally cheaper than the slower speeds.
>
>As to  using RAM in dual channel mode, the memory sticks should be pre
>tested and sold by the manufacturer as a "matched" pair. I have heard of
>persons successfully using two of the same sticks without they being a
>"matched" pair.  However, the memory could prove to be unstable in dual
>channel mode and the computer would have to be reset to single channel
>mode. I have not researched the performance difference between single
>and dual channel modes.

Thanks, that is helpful info.

>TigerDirect.com currently has Ultra PC3200 DDR400 512MB on sale for
>$19.99 after rebate. It is cheap to try.

I can find Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3 Memory at Tiger, but
it prices at $34.99 after rebate:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=586829

If you have further info on <same> for $19.99, would appreciate a holler.

  Much Thanks,
  Peetie

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml