From:
Lewis c Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:18:01 -0400
Folks,

I have a close relative who's been pretty well house-bound and in a wheel
chair for 50 years as a result of a spinal cord injury at age 19.  Some
years ago I set her up with a computer and introduced her to e-mail and
the Internet and it's had a real impact on her life.  She became addicted
(as I knew she would) and developed an entirely new outlook on life as
the computer opened up a whole new area for her.

About a year ago, she developed pneumonia, was in the hospital for some
time, had to be fed with a stomach tube, had to breath via a tracheotomy
tube, etc.  She's now even more of an invalid and is in a nursing home
where she'll have to spend the rest of her life.  This is so sad to me as
she's been such a "fighter" for so long.  I've tried to get her
interested in getting the computer out to the nursing home to use again
(it'd made such a tremendous difference in her life earlier), but she
seems not interested.  I know that she's afraid that it'd be stolen from
her room, and that it might be awkward to use her desktop machine from a
bed or a wheelchair, but I'm trying to think of some way.....

Here're my questions:

1.   Sitting in a bed or a wheelchair the images on the desktop's monitor
would be too small for her to see/read.  She does have a TV in her room,
so is there a way that the TV screen can be used as the computer monitor?
 Some "gadget, etc." that I don't know about.

2.   It might be awkward for her to have to use a keyboard connected to
the desktop, so is there anyway to get a "wireless" keyboard and a
"wireless" mouse for her to use?

3. I'll try to get her a laptop computer to use if that'd help.

I am so disturbed that her life has, again, become so limited and I keep
thinking that there must be some way that I can, again, give her
something to do that will give her life some purpose.

If you can help me with this both she and I'd be most appreciative.

Many, many thanks,

Lewis Emerson

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads