Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:26:12 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/2006 10:15:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

:

Due to schedules I'm not the one who shops or cooks. While my  wife will make
lots of accomidations, she doesn't want to eat paleo. Does  anyoen hav a meal
plan that is set up in a more dual format? Something that  the basic meal
would be paleo butthat was easily added to making a mroe  "regular" meal?

We prepare a Paleo meal and then my SO can add  pasta or bread if he wishes.
In the winter we eat a lot of soups and stews and  it is very easy to make
noodles in a separate pot that he can add to his bowl.  This past weekend, I made
a big pot of meat sauce with fresh veggies and herbs  grown on our deck and I
had mine over steamed veggies, while he ate his on  noodles.

We even do this with things like beef  stroganoff. I do not use flour to
thicken the sauce, I just reduce it down and  then at the end add raw organic
cream or yogurt instead of pastuerized sour  cream from the grocery store. His
goes over pasta, mine over green beans or  spinach.

Since I'm not the one shopping a shopping list/meal plan would  bne a huge
boon. Even if I was I'm actually overwhelmed bt the number of  choices and
trying to set up the dual meal plan format

Tight budget.  We jsut adopted a newborn baby boy and cost is an object on
everything we  do. What do you do to follow the diet on a budget?

The question here is how much time are you  willing to spend to avoid
spending money? We buy forage fed organic young beef  for about the same cost or less
than regular grocery store beef, but we have to  pick it up 1/4 of a cow at a
time at a beef processing place approx 2 hours from  us.

We have joined a cowshare co-op to get raw  organic dairy and eggs for a
reasonable price (a gallon of milk that comes  with at least a pint of cream is
$5) but we have to drive 35 minutes each way to  get it.

For our veggies and fruits, we go to the Asian  and Hispanic supermarkets
because in our area (DC suburbs) their produces is as  good as or better than the
produce at Wegman's and other high end  groceries, but much cheaper.

By purchasing different foodstuffs from  different suppliers, we are able to
eat a Paleo diet on a small food budget, but  it does take a lot more time
than just one trip to a supermarket once a week or  every two weeks, so the
question becomes how is your time worth? Will the  potential savings be worth the
effort of finding the best prices?

If not, the other way to eat cheaper is to stock  up when things are on sale
and freeze them. Eat more frozen veggies than fresh  when fresh are more
expensive and only eat fruit in season. Fresh seasonal fruit  can also be frozen
and while it will not have the same texture as fresh, frozen  fruit makes nice
smoothies.

Robyn