ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:21:43 -0600
  In case any one was wondering. You may remember my asking for prayer for
a decision I made  on songwriting. The proverbial boomerang which I kept
tossing off, denying it and etc. and it kept coming back to whack me in the
back of the head as I walked away from it. I had decided to pursue
it,  take whatever fear I had regarding it, look it in the eye, and go
forward anyway. Well I've arranged for my songwriting books to be scanned
as I'm not too proud to say I can yet learn things from them, plus they are
good ways to spark knew ideas for songs, plus I picked up a couple others.
I also joined the Nashville Songwriters Association International, have
listened to all their archived Thursday night workshops, read quite a few
articles, and will be attending the next NSAI group meeting here in January
to begin networking and get to know some other writers in which to learn
from as well, and perhaps do come co-writing. I'm seeing that is a very
important tool even for well established writers, while yet keeping the
solo writing. I've also been pushing  of late on some song ideas I had
barely rumbling around in my head and actually have come up with three
ideas in the past few days, one of which the song is nearly complete, the
other two have a good start on lyrical idea and melody to accompany the
chord progressions. So I've prayed that if God wants me to do this, to
unlock this brain a bit, and cut me loose  enough to be creative again and
etc. And he has done so. I want to say two things here, well probably
three. The first observation I made regarding this songwriting thing that I
can apply to other areas of my life, and hopefully yours too  if I
can  make my thoughts clear enough. And that is I've had, for a long time,
wanted to  be a write songs, tapped into it a little bit, and backed off,
tapped in, backed off and etc. Why didn't I pursue it? Despite my wife's
not only support if I chose to, she outright got mad at me several times
for not doing it lol. She never gave up but I continually said "No, no, no.
You have no idea what songwriting is lit, about, or what it takes'> First I
was  not only looking at it wrong, that is I was looking at the monetary
aspect or the fiscal aspect in stead of the "write because you love to
write' aspect. So I was straightened out on that one so observation #1
would be, don't let dollars get in the way of a dream God has planted in
you. Secondly I  noticed I would get close to taking action on writing, but
back off, take a bit more  and back off. And this was the biggest thing I
learned which can be applied to life is that because I  valued songwriting
and guitar so much so in my own little world, that I couldn't bare it if I
got out in the real world and found out what I had really wasn't all that
great or that I had need to learn more. I was afraid that if I got out
there where the "real action" was in writing, that I'd fall flat on my face
and wah-la, no more dream shot forever. So I, without realizing it,
sabotaged my efforts to protect my little dream. So observation #2 is to be
courageous, see the fear you have in what lies ahead but don't let it stop
you from your dreams.  With that knowledge I realized as well that I can't
be too proud to say that I need to learn, I'm a student of song and music
and I have not quote, "arrived", and that unless I'm willing to put my
childish pride away and even though I've played guitar for 30 years, I
might just have myself in little ruts and could actually learn form other
players even if they are  younger than me the little creeps lol. Kidding.
So observation #3 is to be willing to learn and educate yourself on the
dreams and gifts you have been given. And another very important
observation which I know, puts you on borrowed time here of an already
possibly boring read lol, and that is observation #4 my wife read to me by
a Christian author who said if you aren't willing to sacrifice everything
you have for your dream... keep looking, it's not your dream. Of course
wisdom is needed one isn't just going to sacrifice everything to try to
make a dream happen, but it is as I've said many times that it is a matter
of the heart. One knows if it is right. So that is a tid bit of update and
a couple observations quickly jotted down if they are in any way  worth
pondering.

Brad

Brad

   Looking for an item or want to sell an item? Place your FREE classified
at: HTTP://WWW.RIVERCITIESCONNECTION.COM
  Northwestern Wisconsin and Greater Twin Cities classified connection!