C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:52:50 -0500
I don't  know how it goes up in NYC and I don't know about gathering
for people with severe disabilities in NYC, but I can tell you that
here in my small city in NC there is an disability advocacy group
that includes quite a few severely disabled adults who are on their
own.  In fact, there is an apartment building near downtown that was
built especially for those with severe disabilities by a group of
disabled people and it's not public housing, although it's eligible
for Section 8 housing subsidies.  I cannot believe that there are no
projects such as that in a city as large as New York City.  I have
also been in public housing flats that are occupied by severely
disabled people and they seem to do quite well.  Now, if you're
saying that you barely get by without an aide (and I'm having trouble
reading your posts sometimes), I'm sure Mag can offer a lot of
suggestions about getting help.

I don't blame you for trying to hang on to your flat - change is
terribly difficult and in a situation such as yours, the lack of
money makes it worse.  But please do accept help - I really doubt
that social workers are all as dumb as you're saying they are.  Maybe
you need to keep asking for new ones until you find one who can work
with you.

I happen to see the housing and economic problems of the poor in a
much larger scope than just the disabled, and so that's why I was
saying you're not unique.  You really aren't unique in your
situation; unfortunately a lot of people share your plight - they may
not be as severely disabled but they share the same anxieties.  And
as the baby boomer population ages and more of us outlive our
retirement benefits, more of the population will fall into the cracks
- it will be a  huge problem.

I work for a large company that has just downgraded their retirement
benefits, so this sort of thing is on a lot of people's minds.
Unfortunately the fat cats in Washington don't  know the reality of
all this. :(

Kat