alan smith <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:44:35 -0400
I want to thank all those who gave me ideas for solving my bios problem.
I want to make one strong point first. NEVER remove that #2032 battery!!
You will end up with a BLANK BIOS CHIP!!!!!!!
Now, this is what happened. I wanted to learn about XANDROS (friendly
Linux/Unix ) so I bought a refurbished DELL Optiplex GX200. I had used it
with Win2Kpro for 3 months because my main computer had packed it in.
After I got it working, I decided to install Xandros. Then I added an extra
hard drive. Then I went into SETUP to see if it would recognize the drive.
HD0 was OK, I set HD1 to auto and CDrom was ok. Then I went into
BOOT sequence and it had gone to "floppy" enable/disable !!! AND I can't change it.Removing the battery killed the bios !!!!!
Then I bought an Optiplex GX110 ! I installed 2 drives, an audio board and
a 2 USB port board, and when I checked the boot sequence, it was already
in "floppy" mode. And neither computer will start up!!!
Does anyone know where I can download the flash program that will fit
on a floppy that will correct the problem????
I'm not familiar with DOS, but I have their startup disk on a floppy, and 98
and the 4- 2k startup disks.
Many thanks to all those who gave me tips and ideas.  AL SMITH Toronto.