Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:13:30 -0700
An update from the end of Day Eight.

It's been a very strange few days on this diet.  Energy levels have been
great since the last I wrote, I've been feeling great.  My third high
intensity weight training workout today was solid -- more on that
below.  I'm having no difficulty staying in my protein range of 76-108
grams per day.  The odd thing is that I've yet to kick into any real
desire for much more calories in the form of fat.  I'm averaging about
1500 calories per day (2900 is weight maintenance for me) and am
averaging weigh loss at about three quarters of a pound a day -- I am
now at 150.4 after starting Day One at 156.0.  But I'm not struggling
in any way, not hungry.  But I *am* a little worried that I'll lose too
much weight too quickly.  I don't want to force feed calories,
preferring of course to eat when my body tells me to.

Now workouts, the main point of this experiment.  You'll recall that I
do a twice a week high intensity weight training regimen.  Like the
participants in the Phinney studies, I experienced a drop off in
performance in my first workout on Day One.  I was slightly dizzy,
light headed and had less energy than usual. I completed the workout
but just felt a little odd.  Second workout was a completely different
story.  I felt great and was back to pre-diet performance levels.
Third workout was today. After completing my normal weight cycle --
eight single sets, each set to momentary muscular fatigue -- I felt as
if I wanted more.  I jogged around the track and went for a mountain
bike ride.  Arthur Jones, my fitness mentor, would say that I just
didn't work hard enough in my weight training if I ended up wanting
more.  Perhaps so, but I’ve improved my pre-diet performance.

So at this point I am losing weight rather rapidly, have plenty of
energy, and have improved in my workouts.  I'm just not wanting enough
fat to get to weight maintenance.  Perhaps my body is preferentially
burning stored body fat and the fat cravings will kick in once I get to
my "natural" weight?  (Whatever that is).  Don't know if it's
psychological?

To be continued.

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com