NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:46:23 -0400
Rashes from eczema, which come up relatively slowly are a worry and are
often allergy triggered in children, but are not typically
life-threatening. The rash you describe doesn't sound like that - it sounds
like a Type I immediate hypersensitivity reaction. While the skin rash and
hives aren't themselves, a problem, they are a strong indication of a
systemic reaction that could have other symptoms, including swelling of the
tongue, lips, and airways, asthma, shock, and even death.

We as parents of hair-trigger reactive children never know how severe a
given reaction will get (or how fast), so we have to treat each one as
though it will get worse quickly, and respond accordingly.

See an allergist right away. Talk about this reaction, and establish a
protocol for safely responding to similar reactions. This would probably
include the use of liquid Benadryl, and EpiPen (or EpiPen Junior) and a
trip to the emergency room.

Given that we could never tell how bad our son's reactions would be, or how
long the rescue meds would last, we always have taken him to the ER for
such reactions. Sometimes he's needed just Epi and Benadryl and a couple
hours observation, sometimes he's required oral or IV steroids to interrupt
the reaction.

Each case - and each child - is different. Trust your initial reaction and
do what you can to prepare for another reaction - it will probably come.
Imagine how you'd feel if you let some down-player convinced you to do any
less, and, well....

It'll take a while until you know everything in his diet that might trigger
such a reaction. Hang in there. Our guy is now 17 and thriving. Still
allergic. Still must completely avoid milk, eggs, and nuts. And a great
guy. Yours will see how much you care, and that will make a difference.

  Having said all of that, you do have to be functional when such a
reaction happens again. Act swiftly and as calmly as you can possibly
muster. Your panic will only make him more anxious.

G'Luck,

Mark