ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:22:29 -0700
Kathy and all,

that reminds me of when my great uncle Willard died in church.  We teens
were in Sunday school when someone came and told our teacher something was
wrong.  I don't know if he/she said exactly what it was; I was sleeping, a
naughty naughty thing I've done for years.  We stayed in our class longer
than usual.  Then I remembered the teacher saying, "we might as well go in."
Walking to my family's pew (my parents were gone at the time so I was
staying with my brother's family.), I heard short snoring sounds, and
someone, a nurse, said, "Willard, can you hear us?"  Another one of my
brothers "happened" to be there.  he rarely came to church.  he was a member
of a volunteer emergency team.  I think maybe some of them came to work on
Willard.  The ambulance came and took him away.

Later, I was told what happened.  Uncle Willard stood, holding his bible and
testifying about Jesus.  Suddenly, he fell back onto the bench.  My brother
asked him if he was all right.  he said he was and continued his testimony.
he collapsed again, this time for good.  I don't know whether he died
immediately, at the hospital, or when.  Church service was ended.  this is
as close as I've come to someone dying.  I've often wondered what it is like
to hold a dying person's hand as he/she slips into eternity.

And speaking of dying, one of my friends from Daybreak plans to come live in
my house.  Her name is Tawney, and she's about my age.  She told me that
only 18% of her liver is functioning.  She went through kidney failure
twice.  she is a diabetic.  She also has osteoporosis.  Two or three years
ago, I think, she had a stroke that has affected mobility and speech.  She
says she has a brain injury.  I'm not sure if she is talking about the
stroke, but whatever it was, it has also affected her mind.  I don't know if
this was the cause of her mental illness, bipolar.  She had to learn to walk
and talk again.  I've heard someone talking with her about reading the
bible, and, although I didn't hear all she said, it sounded positive.  I
talked with her about the praying that I do with Phil, and she din't judge
me, but said that prayer is relaxing.  So I don't know if she's saved.  With
her health the way it is, it sounds like she could die in the not so distant
future.  Please pray for us, and for her, that we will be good witnesses,
and that she will hear God's voice of salvation and healing.

I still apreciate this list, and for Vicki and Phil's work in bringing us
together.

God bless you all!

Sharon